About Marshwood Farm
Its History and accommodation
Grandfather came here in the early 1940’s, as a tenant farmer. Subsequently, he purchased Marshwood at auction, when the landlord, Mr Philipps, died. Historically, as part of the tenancy, he had to have a dairy but he also kept a large flock of chickens. Now we are mainly arable with a flock of sheep, covering approximately 500 acres.
The farmhouse, where we welcome B & B guests, is Grade II listed, dating from the late 17th century. Our accommodation offers two spacious rooms, which benefit from zip link beds that can either be twin bedded or super king size beds with comfy mattresses and cotton linens. Our larger room can accommodate up to two additional single beds. Both rooms have flat screen TV, free wifi and a hospitality tray. Each morning you can sit at our long oval table in our large dining room and tuck into a delicious breakfast menu of locally sourced ingredients.
Two wings were added to the farmhouse in the late 18th century, one of which forms our self catering cottage, which can accommodate up to 4 people – ideal for families or couples wanting a country get away.
Our Shepherds Hut, situated in a field surrounded by woodland and hedgerows, is the latest arrival. Sleeping up to 2 people it is the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle,
So, whether on holiday or business, we look forward to meeting you.
The Village of Dinton.
Dinton is a village, civil parish and former manor in Wiltshire, England. We are about 8 miles to the west of Salisbury. The civil parish also encompasses the small village of Baverstock, about 1 mile to the east. According to the 2011 census, our population was 696.
The parish has local services including two public houses – The Wyndham Arms and The Penruddocke Arms – and a village hall. There is a shop and post office in the nearby village of Wylye. The nearest train station is in Salisbury and the nearest bus stop to Marshwood farm is 1 mile away.
There are three listed houses in Dinton, now owned by The National Trust: Hyde’s House, an 18th Century rebuilding of an earlier house; Phillips House, built in 1816; and Little Clarendon, a late 17th century farmhouse which was restored in the early 20th Century.
The northern boundary of the parish follows a prehistoric ditch boundary, known as Grim’s Ditch, through downland overlooking the Wylye valley further north. Hanging Langford Camp, an Iron Age settlement, is just beyond the parish boundary, and the hillfort known as Wick Ball Camp lies near the western boundary of the parish, partly within Dinton Park.
The Monarch’s Way long-distance footpath crosses the parish north of Dinton, leaving via Grovely Wood.